Frequently Asked Questions

Water Well Drilling - Ground Water Questions and Answers

Drilling a well on your property seems like a daunting task at first. Luckily, Oasis Well Drilling has compiled a list of frequently asked questions to address some of your questions and concerns.

If you have any additional concerns, be sure to contact us without delay to consult with a helpful member of our team.

If you do not find your question answered on this page, click here to ask it now!

  • Click on any question below to reveal the answer, click again to collapse.

Where are you located?

We are located near Sequim, Washington. We serve the Northern Olympic Peninsula in both Jefferson and Clallam Counties.

How do I decide where to drill?

Several factors determine where to drill:

  1. Terrain & Accessibility to Well Site – Now and in the Future

  2. Legal Distances from Both Property Lines and Septic Systems

  3. Location of Future or Present Homes and Buildings

Do I need a permit to drill a well?

Yes, the state of Washington requires permits to construct a well.

The permit through the State Department of Ecology is $200. Jefferson County requires an additional application fee.

What is ground water?

Ground water is water below the land surface that fills the spaces between grains of sediment and rocks or fills cracks and fractures in the rock.

Saturated zones in sediment such as sand and gravel, called Aquifers -- and in fractured rock formations -- store and transmit water to underground wells.

How do we get ground water?

In most cases, a well is needed to reach the aquifer where ground water is found.

Most wells are made by drilling into the rock layers using drilling machines to access water deep beneath the surface.

Electric pumps are commonly used to raise the water to the surface.

How deep will I have to go to find water?

Most wells vary in one way or another. Geological formations of your area generally will determine to what depth you will need to drill to yield the best results.

From our experience - and from researching the recorded well logs in your area -- we can provide you with a more precise idea of what would be necessary to construct your well and a more accurate estimate of cost involved.

You may access well logs on the Department of Ecology's website:

How much water will I need?

That will depend on your needs. The average usage is 100 gallons per day per person. Landscaping should also be consideration in your daily needs.

For single-family residences, Jefferson County requires 400 gallons per day (GPD) or .27 gallons per minute (GPM). Clallam County requires 800 GPD or .55 GPM.

Most lenders require 3 to 5 GPM. With extra storage, i.e. 2 or more pressure tanks or a 1000 -2000 galon reservoir tank your  water systems could supply 10 + GPM to the house.